Saturday, January 01, 2011

Cleaner mouths lead to healthier hearts

from William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.:


when it comes to heart health, what you eat is about 50 times more important than how often you brush.

But since we're talking teeth, let me answer a question I get all the time: "Doc, how can I keep my mouth clean when you keep telling me to avoid the dentist?"

Easy -- just forget everything you've been told about dental care. Take anything in your house with fluoride in it -- toothpaste, mouthwash, all of it -- and toss it in the trash. Don't save it, don't set it aside and don't put it in the guest bathroom (unless you hate your guests).

All you need is a little baking soda and some plain old 3 percent hydrogen peroxide. Combine a little of each to make a paste, then gently rub it into your teeth and gums after meals. Don't even bother with a toothbrush. Then, rinse with some of that peroxide (just don't swallow it).

Skip anything with sugar, and you may never need to see a dentist again.

And believe me, the less time you spend with those radiation-happy, fluoride-pushing, mercury-peddling bone bruisers, the better.

No comments: