Friday, August 19, 2011

How Consuming Fructose Can Damage Your Liver

Fructose (HFCS is the worst) is very hard on your liver, in much the same way as drinking alcohol.
  1. Liver burden number one: After eating fructose, 100 percent of the metabolic burden rests on your liver—ONLY your liver can break it down. This is much different than consuming glucose, in which your liver has to break down only 20 percent, and the remaining 80 percent is immediately metabolized and used by the rest of the cells in your body.
  2. Liver burden number two: Fructose is converted into fat that get stored in your liver and other tissues as body fat. Part of what makes fructose so bad for your health is that it is metabolized to fat in your body far more rapidly than any other sugar. For example, if you eat 120 calories of fructose, 40 calories are stored as fat. But if you eat the same amount of glucose, less than one calorie gets stored as fat. Consuming fructose is essentially consuming fat.
In the United States HFCS has been re-named "Corn Sugar". Americans should watch out for that on food-package labels in future. 

No comments: